4 Weeks Prior to Move
- Set up a “move” file/folder and “move” calendar.
- Schedule Mover.
- Check insurance coverage for moved items. Movers usually only cover what they pack.
- Have a garage sale
- Donate unneeded furniture to charity.
3 Weeks Prior to Move
- Review tax deductions on moving expenses (if applicable).
- Confirm moving date with mover. Note the weight of the goods you’ll have moved, since long-distance moves are usually billed according to weight. Watch for movers that use excessive padding to add weight.
- Check with your HOA about restrictions on using the elevator or particular exits.
- CHANGE OF ADDRESS:
- Request change of address kit from post office.
- Notify your charge cards, magazine and newspaper subscriptions, and banks of address change.
- Call/email friends and relatives to let them know you are moving. Provide them with new address.
- Check out voter registration information for the new area.
2 Weeks Prior To Move
- Contact insurance companies (life, auto, homeowners).
- Schedule to have Homeowner’s Insurance cancelled after closing (not before).
- Prepare a list of clothing that will not be packed with household goods.
- Take time to check off previous listed items while you still have time!
- Discard all aerosols, paint, oils, and other flammable or toxic chemicals.
- Make utility arrangements (telephone, gas, electricity, water, garbage, cable television). Remember, you must leave the utilities on until the buyers take possession even if you plan to vacate the property sooner.
Plus, if you’re moving out of town.
- Get copies of medical and dental records and prescriptions for your family and your pets.
- Transfer stocks, bonds, bank accounts and contents of safe deposit boxes.
- Get copies of children’s school records for transfer.
- Ask friends for introductions to anyone they know in your new neighborhood.
- Consider special care needs for pets when traveling.
- Let a friend or relative know your route. Carry traveler’s checks or an ATM card for ready cash until you can open a bank account
- Put plants in boxes with holes for air circulation if you’re moving in cold weather.